04 October 2008

More Updates! (Due to the plague)

More catch up for me! Having a slow computer did not stop me from catching the creeping crud that my husband brought home from work. A week and 4 boxes of kleenex later, I am finally starting to feel human yet again.

Due to all the down time (and a kitchen rearrangement caused by getting a stove after 1 and a half years without one) I neglected my cuttings, to find this morning that pineapple sage is very sensitive to too much moisture. Every cutting had rotted to a rich, soggy brown while the lemon balm and anise hyssop were largely unharmed. Starting over tomorrow and this time with more care, the temperature is dropping like a rock so I won't have a plant to cut from soon!



I finally had some tomatoes decide to ripen from the mosh pit of my uncaged tomato patch. All at the same time of course. The bulk of my edible fruits came from a variety called Japanese Black Trifele. I bought the seeds from Baker Creek Heirlooms (fabulous people there and great community programs!) and they are indeed purpleish with green shoulders and pear shaped. The Black Trifele are not a sauce tomato, they are thin walled and juicy (think excelent with salad), but I had the flu and 20 tomatoes to use up so sauce it was! After all the peeling and seeding, 20 didn't go very far, even with mushrooms and onion added there was just enough to blanket 12 hearty meatballs over 1 dry pound of pasta. Still VERY good.



My other project this last week was to try and solve a garden mystery. In the seed trades I did years ago on GardenWeb, I recieved some seed for a hot pepper that the sender had called "la crime di cristo" the tears of christ. I have never been able to find any information on a pepper by that name and I am horrible at growing peppers so my seed stash slowly dwindled with no results. This year I put faith in my last 3 seeds (and the New York climate) and ended up with fruiting plants! (that I still can't identify). The husband tried one last week that was not mature yet (no ripe seeds) and it dang near blew his mouth off (and he is a nuclear buffalo wings type). I WILL have new seeds from these this year even if I have to dig them up and bring them inside, in the mean time it is off to the GardenWeb vegie forums to try and dig up a visual ID!



My Book Bag









Veganomicon: The Ultimate Vegan Cookbook
by Isa Chandra Moskowitz & Terry Hope Romero


Anyone with half a garden can treasure the value of good Vegie ideas when it comes to the kitchen. No one does vegies better than a vegan. This book has a fantastic intro on different grains, rices, and vegetables and how to cook each one. Then it follows up with great dishes of all kinds. Simple foods like the lentils and rice with onion that I made 4 times last week (beats rhamen noodles on a budget!) to the extreeme! Excelent food that would easily lend itself to meat additions, but honestly, you will never miss it!

0 comments: